Luxury Trend

Watches and Jewelry: The Art of “Hard Luxury”

Franky M.

Some of the leading luxury watch labels have launched their jewelry collections, and vice versa, in an increasingly common trend.

In this group, we find reputable firms—such as Piaget —that feel equally comfortable designing jewelry or making watches. Other luxury brands that had their origins in the fashion business have also integrated the creation of timepieces and jewels of the highest quality. Some examples are Chanel, Dior, and Hermès. All these companies compete with old and traditional jewelers like Chaumet, Van Cleef & Arpels, and Carrera y Carrera, which a few years ago decided to take their craft skills to the field of watchmaking.

Watches and Jewelry
Van Cleef & Arpels ring. Photo: © Van Cleef & Arpels.

As if that were not enough, in the jewelry market the best known brands only account for about 20% of the total production—the other 80 percent belongs to small firms, family and private businesses that sell without a brand name—some companies strictly devoted to watchmaking have also found a place in the global marketplace.

Patek Philippe, most honored brand in the universe of luxury Swiss watches, produces handmade jewelry to match some of their models for clients who want to combine their attires. However, this service is not advertised because it is exceptional, and the custom made pieces don’t belong to a defined collection.
Watches and Jewelry

In the zenith of watchmaking we also find Breguet, which every year launches stunning pieces of jewelry. This year, their creations include the Imperial Pearls ring and earrings, which cost 35,100 and 25,100 euros (38,770 and 27,725 dollars), respectively. The most expensive are the outstanding Petite Fleur earrings (110,600 euros or $124,000), while the most affordable piece is a ring labeled La Rose de la Reine (10,000 euros or $11,200).

Omega, which, like Breguet, belongs to Swiss Swatch Group, offers the Ladymatic collection, composed of simpler and less expensive jewels than those from Breguet. Omega reinterprets the ladies’ watch case of the same name and show four undulating motifs while their rings, earrings and pendants are made of 18K white, red, and yellow gold, with diamonds in some pieces.  ■

© | 2019