Welcome Register
Enter keywords...
FASHION

luxury trend

Some of the leading luxury watch labels have launched their jewelry collections, and vice versa, in an increasingly common trend.

 

 

Watches and Jewelry: The Art of "Hard Luxury"

By Franky M.


The watchmaking and jewelry sectors are closely related. That is why--in the luxury industry--they are included in the category known as hard luxury.

In this group, we find reputable firms—such as the Piaget—which feel equally comfortable designing jewelry or making watches. Other luxury brands that had their origins in the fashion business have also integrated the creation of timepieces and jewels of the highest quality. Some examples are Chanel, Dior, and Hermès.

All these companies compete with old and traditional jewelers like Chaumet, Van Cleef & Arpels, and Carrera y Carrera, which a few years ago decided to take their craft skills to the field of watchmaking.


Van Cleef & Arpels ring, image via Van Cleef & Arpels


Chaumet necklace, image via Chaumet

As if that were not enough, in the jewelry market the best known brands only account for about 20% of the total production—the other 80% belongs to small firms, family and private businesses that sell without a brand name—some companies strictly devoted to watchmaking have also found a place in the global marketplace.

Patek Philippe, most honored brand in the universe of luxury Swiss watches, produces handmade jewelry to match some of their models for clients who want to combine their attires. However, this service is not advertised because it is exceptional, and the custom made pieces don’t belong to a defined collection.

In the zenith of watchmaking we also find Breguet, which every year launches stunning pieces of jewelry. This year, their creations include the Imperial Pearls ring and earrings, which cost 35,100 and 25,100 euros (38,770 and 27,725 dollars), respectively. The most expensive are the outstanding Petite Fleur earrings (110,600 euros or $124,000), while the most affordable piece is a ring labeled La Rose de la Reine (10,000 euros or $11,200).

Breguet watch, image via Breguet


Omega watch and jewelry, image via Omega


Omega, which, like Breguet, belongs to Swiss Swatch Group, offers the Ladymatic collection, composed of simpler and less expensive jewels than those from Breguet. Omega reinterprets the ladies’ watch case of the same name and show four undulating motifs while their rings, earrings and pendants are made of 18K white, red, and yellow gold, with diamonds in some pieces. ■


More on this topic

Piaget: Swiss Watches and Remarkable Jewels
The brand has gained international acclaim for their superb creations. 

Carl F. Bucherer, Parmigiani, Roger Dubuis and Tudor: New Watch Boutiques 
Luxury watchmakers seek expansion in cosmopolitan cities. 


© azureazure.com | 2016

Comments Registration required to comment.
CLICK HERE to be part of the exclusive azureazure network.
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Google +
Luxury Lifestyle. The ultimate in luxury and lifestyle.
© 2014 AZUREAZURE. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED